Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 pound guanciale, in 1-inch slivers 1/4 -inch thick
- 3 cups canned San Marzano tomatoes (about a 28-ounce can)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 cup grated aged pecorino cheese, more for serving
- 1 pound bucatini.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet. Add onion and garlic, and sauté over medium heat until transparent. Add guanciale and sauté until barely beginning to brown.
- Break up tomatoes and add. Cook about 15 minutes, crushing tomatoes with a spoon, until sauce has become somewhat concentrated and homogenized. Season with chili and salt and stir in 1 tablespoon cheese. Remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add bucatini and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain and transfer to skillet. Gently reheat contents of skillet, folding pasta and tomato sauce together until they are heated through and pasta is well-coated, about 5 minutes. Fold in remaining cheese. Check seasoning and serve with more cheese on the side.